12.08.2009

Winter Plans


The golden leaves have almost all drifted from the three weeping willow trees I watch, and I miss warm air. Did I ever sit on this couch in a skort and T-shirt? That taxes my imagination now. I have currently armed myself against the cold with plenty of heavy clothing and a fleece blanket.

Thankfully, the Douglas fir out back pledges to keep a little green amid all the gray of winter. Lighting a lot of candles helps with the early darkness, and in just two weeks, the days start getting lighter instead of darker. In the mean time, I have things to do.

With NaNoWriMo over, I dutifully put my novel away and told myself not to look at it until January. Everybody says wait to revise, anywhere from a few weeks to a year. I lasted until last Friday. NaNo gave me momentum; I couldn't bear to lose that now, or to shift my energy to another project and wind up putting this one on indefinite hold. Out came the file, and I used up the rest of our copy paper printing the manuscript and started re-reading and marking off the scenes.

As some of the authors' sites I've visited recommend setting a date for the completion of revision, I've chosen March 20, the first day of spring. Arbitrary? Maybe, but March sounded about right anyway. That gives me a focus and purpose for these winter months, when even with the furnace running almost constantly, my hands and feet stay cold. I'll write scenes and slash poor lines and fix plot problems--of which I have noted sixty--as fast as my chilly fingers can manage.

For the single most helpful article I've found on revising a novel, click over to this page by Holly Lisle. Second place goes to Steve Thompson.

4 comments:

  1. Make the revision completion date March 25th, the day that Sauron was overthrown, then you can picture your revision as a great battle against evil! :)

    It's also The Annunciation of Our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay ... that made my husband and I laugh out loud. :)

    If I don't get it done on the 20th, I'll shoot for the 25th. Or maybe I can make that my date for printing the manuscript and reading the whole thing out loud to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing your NaNo (first draft, anyway) - you did much better than I did!

    Since you're editing now, I was wondering if you knew about http://christianwriters.com/index.php
    It's a forum geared toward Christian writers (obviously), is quite friendly, and offers group critiques once you're a member. I recently joined myself, and it's been a good experience.
    Blessings.
    -David

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, thanks! I had never heard of Christianwriters.com, or at least never been to the site ... just went and looked at it. I'll put some thought into joining. It looks fantastic, and I really appreciate the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are currently moderated. Friendly comments are welcomed with fairy music, magic wishes, and possible unicorn sightings. Troll comments will be Transfigured into decent-looking rocks or Vanished. Spam comments will be shot down with blasters.